It is believed that the distinguished Rottweiler originated in ancient Rome before making its way to Germany where it became the popular breed we know today. A lot of people think of Rottweilers as attack dogs, though, with proper care, socialization, and a steady diet of training, they make magnificent family dogs who do best in cool climates. One of the drawbacks of having a Rottweiler as a member of your family is they are prone to allergies and other ailments such as canine hip dysplasia. For this reason, special care must be taken when selecting the best dog food for Rottweilers with allergies.
In this guide, we share the top 5 food choices for Rottweilers with allergies that ensure your Rottweiler gets all the nutrition he needs to power his massive build. If your Rott is suffering from dry skin, excessive shedding, itchy paws, ear infections, or loose stools, there’s a good chance he’s allergic to something in his food.
While outside allergens can irritate a dog’s skin, it’s more likely an internal problem if you notice a persistent problem without exposure to outside elements that could be causing the allergy symptoms.
Top 5 Best Foods for Rottweilers with Skin Allergies
|#1) Nulo Freestyle Adult Grain-Free Dog Food
|#2) Earthborn Holistic Venture Limited Ingredient Diet for Dogs
|#3) Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
|#4) CANIDAE All Life Stages Large Breed Formula
|#5) Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Large Breed
Tips on Selecting the Right Food
Since Rottweilers are prone to hip problems and food sensitivities, it’s wise to choose a dog food high in clean sources of non-chicken protein. Additionally, it’s important to select clean carbs that won’t upset your dog’s stomach or cause excess weight gain.
Similar to humans, dogs also benefit from probiotics. Several of the brands in this guide contain probiotics that can help your Rott get regular and enhance nutrient absorption. Skin & coat problems have several causes ranging from food allergies to nutrient deficiencies.
If your Rott has runny stools or an upset stomach for a prolonged period, it will only exasperate his allergies. When selecting the best food for your Rottweiler, it’s important to consider the points above and steer clear of the most common dog food allergens we mentioned in the introduction until the allergy problem is under control.
Reviews of the Best Food for Rottweilers with Allergies
In this section, we share the highlights of each of the dog foods we carefully chose to include in the Top 5 chart above. Here, you’ll also find lists of pros & cons to consider. By the end of the reviews, you’ll have a better idea of which brand is best for your Rott.
#1) Nulo Freestyle Adult Grain-Free Dog Food
Nulo is a high-protein, low-carb dog food that’s perfect for Rotts that need extra protein to fuel & maintain their muscle mass. Aside from the high protein content, Nulo food contains a patented probiotic, BC30, that’s been shown to improve digestion in dogs. If your Rott is currently suffering from a sensitive stomach due to other food, transitioning him slowly to Nulo Freestyle may help to improve his digestion and get him regular again.
For Rotts who are prone to grain allergies, Nulo Freestyle is an excellent choice because it manages to pack in nutrients without any corn, wheat, soy, or other common grain allergens. Instead, the Nulo Turkey formula contains easily-digestible sweet potatoes and chickpeas. Additionally, it blends turkey with salmon and deboned trout for added Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids. Essential fatty acids are an important part of your dog’s diet for a healthier coat.
The main drawback of this food is the inclusion of chicken fat. If your Rott is extra sensitive to chicken, the other chicken-free options in this guide are better choices. However, if your dog is okay with chicken fat, this is the best grain-free food in this guide.
- An excellent high-protein, low-carb dog food for Rotts with skin allergies
- Available in Turkey, Salmon, and Lamb formulas
- A great source of Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids for a healthier coat
- Contains a patented and effective probiotic for improved GI health in dogs
- A good choice for Rotts with sensitivities to grains
- Up to 85% of the protein comes from real meat sources
- Approved by Rott parents
- May help to calm and eliminate skin allergies and hot spots
- Healthier stools
- It contains chicken fat
- Pricier than other options
- No added glucosamine
#2) Earthborn Holistic Venture Limited Ingredient Diet for Dogs
One of the newer dog food brands we’re very fond of is Earthborn Holistic. The Venture formula is available in a wide variety of chicken-free formulas, and the Wild Boar & Butternut Squash version is a great choice for Rotts. The Wild Boar mix goes the extra mile by skipping peas, potatoes, lentils, and legumes, which means there’s a very slim chance of a dog experiencing allergic reactions to this food.
Pumpkin is a good low-calorie, low glycemic load carbohydrate that’s a great source of vitamins & dietary fiber. Compared to dog foods with low-quality pea ingredients, pumpkin and butternut squash is a few steps up the quality ladder. When compared to Nulo Freestyle, Venture is lower in protein and higher in fiber. Both formulas contain about the same amount of fat, though, Nulo provides more Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.
One final highlight of the Venture formula is the inclusion of probiotics for Rotts who have trouble staying regular or need to get regular again. Lastly, there’s no chicken fat to worry about in this food or any poultry by-product meal that’s commonly used in commercial dog food.
- The Wild Boar formula contains no peas or potatoes for extra-sensitive Rotts
- There are plenty of formulas to choose from ranging from rabbit to squid
- Contains probiotics for better digestion
- One of the best dog foods for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs
- May help to stop excessive scratching in Rotts with skin allergies
- Higher in fiber for better stool consistency
- A great choice for Rotts who are allergic to chicken
- Lower in protein than Nulo
- The smell is powerful for human nostrils
- Some dogs refuse to eat it
#3) Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
We include Blue Buffalo Basics Limited in just about all of our guides for dogs with allergies because it’s one of the most consistent brands. Also, Blue Buffalo offers wet, dry, grain-free, w/ grain, large breed, and small breed limited ingredient formulas to suit just about every breed. Of the flavors currently available, Salmon & Potato and Turkey & Potato are the best available for Rotts with allergies.
What we like about this formula is that it does contain healthy grains for dog parents who are concerned about the long-term effects grain-free food may have on heart health. The main grains included in the salmon formula are oatmeal and brown rice which are perfect alternatives to foods that contain corn, wheat, and/or soy.
Lastly, Blue Buffalo Basics contains Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, glucosamine, and probiotics. Blue Buffalo’s LifeSource Bits ensure that dogs of all ages receive adequate servings of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Of the five brands in this guide, Blue Buffalo offers one of the most complete nutritional profiles.
- The best chicken-free formula with grains of the five brands in this guide
- Salmon and Turkey are excellent alternatives to chicken
- Blue Buffalo’s LifeSource Bits are packed with nutrition for dogs of all ages
- Contains glucosamine for senior dogs or Rotts with hip issues
- Healthy servings of essential amino acids for a shinier coat
- May help to eliminate allergies without going grain-free
- Easier on the digestive tract than most other brands
- Not the best choice for Rotts with grain sensitivities
- More expensive than other brands
- Some dogs don’t like the LifeSource Bits
#4) CANIDAE All Life Stages Large Breed Formula
Another good dog food with grain for Rottweilers with allergies is Canidae All Life Stages. The Large Breed formula is 100% chicken-free with turkey meal as its main protein source. Other main ingredients include oatmeal, brown rice, flaxseed, salmon oil, millet, and rice bran. For Rotts who are active and not sensitive to the grains in this blend, this formula provides the fuel active Rotts with allergies need to stay healthy.
Similar to a couple of the other formulas in this guide, Canidae contains its own blend of probiotics for optimal digestive health. You’ll most likely notice healthier stools after switching to Canidae.
Another advantage of this formula is the price for the large 30 and 44 lb bags. Compared to buying Nulo Freestyle or Blue Buffalo Basics, Canidae All Life Stages costs significantly less when bought in bulk. Lastly, this blend contains glucosamine & chondroitin for better joint health.
- More affordable than the other brands when bought in bulk (up to 44 lb bags available)
- Turkey is a single meat source formula
- Canidae adds its probiotics to its food after the cooking process to ensure they reach your dog’s gut
- Healthier stools are common with this blend
- Adequate servings of Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids for skin & coat health
- A good choice for senior Rotts with allergies
- May help to eliminate gas
- No smaller sizes are available
- Inconsistent batch quality
- A handful of quality control issues
#5) Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Large Breed
Of the five brands in this guide, Nutro and Blue Buffalo are the most consistent. Similar to Blue Buffalo Basics, Nutro’s Limited Ingredient Diet formula is available in several varieties for all dog breeds and sizes. The best choice for Rottweilers is Nutro’s Large Breed Lamb & Sweet Potato mix. For Rotts who are sensitive to grains, this food is a top limited-ingredient grain-free option.
Also, lamb is a great alternative to chicken, and it’s less likely to cause digestive issues or skin allergies. This formula also contains dried plain beet pulp which is an excellent source of fiber for dogs with sensitive stomachs. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, beet pulp improves fecal quality without affecting nutrient digestibility.
A couple of final highlights are the non-GMO ingredients, and Nutro even guarantees a softer, shinier coat or your money back. That’s certainly the level of confidence we like to see when buying dog food.
- The best lamb-based dog food for Rottweilers with allergies
- One of the most reliable and trustworthy dog food brands
- Made with just 10 ingredients or less for Rotts with grain and protein sensitivities
- Contains beet pulp for better stool quality
- Highly recommended for battling skin allergies
- Good for Rotts with sensitive stomachs and allergies
- Good dog food for yeasty dogs
- Does not contain probiotics
- Pricier than Canidae per pound
- Must be stored properly in an airtight container to avoid going bad
Final Thoughts on Grain-Free Dog Food Diets
The FDA began investigating a potential link between grain-free diets and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs and has yet to offer any definite conclusions. However, the latest update suggests that sticking to diets with grains is the better choice to err on the side of caution.
For this reason, it’s essential to identify what’s causing your dog’s skin allergies before switching to a long-term grain-free diet. In the short-term, grain-free food may give your Rott the relief he needs until his allergy symptoms retreat. Once you determine which protein sources agree with him, it’s a good idea to search for a more well-balanced dog food that includes those protein sources along with grains.
Of the brands in this guide, Blue Buffalo and Canidae offer the best formulas with grains that are good for Rottweilers with allergies.